Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day 9 of the Truth Dare

This poster looks fun: but we are looking for
A Different Kind of Wild!

Sunday's Theme: Giving a Personal Account for "just ourselves".

Praise/Prayer
Psalm 130

Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
O LORD, hear my voice, Let your
ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared.

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope.

Truth Dare
Romans 14:12,13,19
Each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

It's easy to point our finger at every one else, isn't it? It's even acceptable to stand for our own rights, and do our own thing, without regard to others. We live in a world that says, if it's good for you...do it! But that is not what Scripture teaches us. In this passage in Romans, Paul is reminding them to look at their selves and to quit judging others. We can only take responsibility for ourselves. We can not change another's actions or choices, but we can change ours, as we submit ourselves to God.

The Challenge Steps
  • Think about any recent "judgement" or "disapproval' activity you have had towards another
  • Go to the Lord and ask His forgiveness.
  • Make a decision to do whatever it takes to quit pointing the finger at this person
  • Decide what God's word is telling you about making every effort to make peace
  • Humble yourself, your needs, your hurts, before God and do the WILD thing.

Remember: To lead well, you must learn to love well.

If you have a judgemental or negative attitude ingrained in your mind about a person, you are not going to feel like letting go of it. Don't insist on the right of your own feelings this time, lean into God's word of truth.Learning to love well is an active "death to self". The more we "die" to ourselves, the more "alive" we are spiritually.

Daily Prayer
Father, I am so human and get so icky and petty sometimes. I see in your word how pointing my finger at others is not your best for me. But, Lord, we both know how easy it is to do that! Help me Jesus to stretch, change, develop and grow into something different than an icky petty woman. I desire you in all my relationships and ask you to heal the ones that are less than your best for all involved.

No comments: