Sunday, November 23, 2008

Day 23 of the Truth Dare

Appreciation
We all want it and we can learn to give it!

In every person from cradle to grave there is a deep craving to be appreciated. If people don't receive appreciation at home, there's a good chance they won't get it because, in general, the world does not fill that desire. One of the most positive things you can do for your spouse, children, and people in your life is to get to know them and love them simply because they are God's children. Loving them because of who they are, not because of their performance. adapted from Make Today Count by John Maxwell

Praise Prayer/ Psalm 139:13-14,16-18
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
Your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were i to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake. I am still with you.

Note: God Created everyone He is asking you to encourage.
He loves them because they are His. He is asking you to be an extension of His love on earth by encouraging others, appreciating them, believing the best in them, and focusing on anything good that is in them. This requires turning away from negativity and bad attitudes about people in general. This also means obeying God and being an extension of His grace even to people who have actually hurt you.

Truth Dare ( verse references below)
"Encourage each other daily, as long as it is called Today" Heb 3:13
"We urge you brothers, encourage the timid" 1 Thes 5:14
"we must encourage and strengthen the brothers" Acts 15:32
"my purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love." Col 2:2

When we encourage another person, we are imparting COURAGE to them. Courage to live, to love, to express themselves, and to trust the God who made them who they are. Encouragement is a gift. Give the gift of encouragement today.

Challenge Steps
  • Ask yourself what keeps you from encouraging others? Is it pride? Is it because you forget? Is it because you are too self-focused? Is it because you don't think they deserve it?
  • Look at what God's word says about encouragement. Ask God to make you an encourager, and to remind you to remember to notice other people.
  • Encouragement often happens in just asking someone how they are, and listening.
  • Encouragement can be noticing something they have done and being thankful
  • Encouragement can be catching them in something good and mentioning it
  • Encouragement can be praying for them, and letting them know you care enough to pray
  • Encouragement can be simply a "hello" and a hug.
  • Encouragement is appreciation in every form.
Daily Prayer
Lord, Forgive me for the times I refuse to encourage. Maybe it's my pride...take care of that Lord. Maybe it's my memory...refresh my mind Lord. Maybe it's that I just don't know how without feeling it's flimsy flattery...teach me Lord. I desire to line up with your truth in this area. You are the God of all comfort. You comfort and yes, encourage your people. I want to be an extension of your love, so that means I must learn to be an encourager.

No comments: