Friday, January 9, 2009

What is causing division in your heart?


Is it activity?
Is it a burning inner turmoil?
Is it worry? stress?
Is it sin?
Or, maybe it's things, baggage from your past.

All of us have stuff we carry around from our pasts and how the situations of our pasts shaped us and have affected us. Some of these things keep us in bondage, and some of these things keep our hearts divided or cut up into pieces.

Recently I had dinner with my friend Ali. She shared with me how during Christmas how the song Joy to the World had a renewed meaning to her this season. The words...let every heart prepare him room...seemed to stick to her this year. Previously she thought that those words were for unbelievers to believe in Jesus and prepare a place for him in their hearts. But, this year it was as if God was speaking to her saying, " You, Ali, prepare room for me in your heart." This began a whole new journey for her. As she shared it with me, it stuck with me too.

Preparing Room for Christ in our hearts might mean doing some heart housekeeping. If our hearts are too cluttered, or divided, well then....it's hard for him to have his place of prominance, isn't it?

Back to our past. Take in this verse:
"One thing I do forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:13-14

Beth Moore says,
Gods word clearly expresses what a good and effective teacher the past can be. But the past will be a good teacher only if we approach it as a good student, from the perspective of what we can gain and how God can use it for his glory. ( taken from Breaking Free)

What is it in your past that God is asking you to hand over to him? It might be an attitude an immaturity, a love, a habit. It doesn't work for you anymore. It must go. You must let your heart be uncluttered and learn from what you are taking to the spiritual dump! Why did it have to go? Why can't you pick it up and allow it back in? What is God teaching you?

Be filled today with His Presence. Sit, think, process, pray, Be still and be filled.

Today's Prayer
Father, Show me the things in my heart that must be turned over to you and taken to the dumpster. I am listening. Help me learn from the past mistakes, hurts, insecurities,bondages, family dynamics, whatever.... Help me Lord. I want an undivided heart. And, today I want to Prepare Room for You!

No comments: