Friday, January 30, 2009

Three Things to Start the Day

It feels good to do good works, get a "well done" and feel the flush of human pride.
It doesn't feel so good to find out that the things that give me the flush of human pride and accomplishment might be the very things that keep me from experiencing God at a deeper level.

In Revelation 2, speaking to the church in Ephesus
, a harsh rebuke follows what seems to be a glowing account of their good works for the Lord.

"I know what you are doing. You work long and hard. I know you can't put up with those who are evil. You have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not. You have found out that they are liars. You have been faithful and have put up with a log of trouble because of me. You have not given up. But here is something I hold against you. You don't have as much love as you had at first. Remember how far you have fallen! Turn away from your sins. Do the things you did a first." Revelation 2:2-4

I think of the words..."you work long and hard" as a compliment. But coupled with the fact that the relationship with Christ has suffered and the love towards Christ has cooled...causes a response from the Lord that holds out words like: I hold this against you....fallen...not as much love...turn away from sins...do the things.....

Yikes! We all can find ourselves in this category, doing good things, life things, seemingly spiritual things with a love tank towards God and man that is EMPTY.

What's a girl to do?
Three things...
  • 1. Turn...to repent( used in most versions of this verse) is to turn from something, towards something else.
  • 2. Be Filled...with the holy spirit and the new nature rather than operating solely in our flesh
  • 3. Live Differently...Go back to basics and live unto the Lord learning to love the Lord, growing in relationship with him.

These three things cause us to face self-denial, because these three things cause us to Turn from self. Let's look at them in light of the words of Christ in Luke:

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23

Denying "us" begins with the Turn, the shift, the about face!
1. Turn from self
2. Be filled with Christ
3. Follow a New Path

Lace up your faith shoes ladies...and start following! I'm on the path with you!

Today's Prayer
Lord, I am used to following my own heart, own desires, own thoughts...anything "me" is natural. But, when I am living in the "natural" and normal for "me", I am missing the things of the Spirit. Teach me Lord, Change me....I want less of me and more of thee. Show me how to follow you in a way that would be pleasing to your heart.

1 comment:

Lorri said...

Thanks for another message filled with truth. And where in the world did you find that photo of JIFF?
Wow! Love, Lorri