Friday, January 2, 2009

Respect the Gift of Today




According to Webster's, to celebrate is to observe a day with Respect.

Respect:
1). To feel or show regard for
2). To avoid violation or interference with
3). To esteem
4). To show appreciation and consideration to or for

Each morning we wake up to a new day. And each new day we have the choice to live in joy and celebration for the gift given of this new day, or to slug through it...you know the attitude....just another dumb day....too much to do...same old stuff.

Often our thoughts and words don't line up with what is true about us in God's view. We are actually in violation or interference with God's best by continually dwelling in the negative places that we have all come to know far too well.

I think that we should pay attention to the art of celebration. It would be good for us to learn how to live in respect and awe of the God who created all things,...and to live in respect of how He loves us and cares for us.

To change our patterns of worry is part of learning a new way to live up. The opposite would be to continue acting out in our childish ways of worry and thinking we have to fend for ourselves.

The mature view is to realize that God fends for us and this belief enables us to quit acting out in constant worry and instead live up towards respect and appreciation of what the Bible declares as His care for those He created.

Today try to cut out all self-deprecating remarks.
Start programming your renewed mind by first learning to discipline your mouth.
Rather than putting yourself down, down, down....
Try lifting your spirit up, up, up....

How? By replacing the negative with the positive truth in God's word.
Let's just start with a few truths for today.
Repeat them often...Add your own.

  • I am loved unconditionally ( Romans 5:8)
  • I am intimately known ( Psalm 139)
  • I am precious in God's sight ( Isaiah 43:4)
  • I was chosen before time began ( Ephesians 1:4)
  • I am filled with God's Spirit ( 1 Corinthians 6:19)
  • I have been created for a purpose ( Ephesians 2:10)
Daily Prayer
Father,
It is much easier to dwell on what I am comfortable with. I am comfortable with saying negative things about myself or life. I can point out my flaws with expertise but have trouble letting those go and committing them to you. Seems I'd rather feel bad then realize that I am blessed and that you are working in me, flaws and all. I want to turn around my mind and my mouth by respecting what the Bible says is truth about me, my life and my God. In doing so I want to learn to celebrate each day and my union with you. Help me. Teach me.

No comments: