Monday, January 19, 2009

His Temple

I have thought of myself as many things, but always forget that according to God's Word, I am a temple of His Holy Spirit, as His Spirit lives in me. Have you spent much time thinking about that? The picture on today's blog is one of a Jewish Temple. The temple stood for something, had a purpose, was sacred, and was set apart for people to worship God, seek God and find God. We are compared to that. Do we stand for something or do people have to guess? Do we live with a purpose, or are we always wondering? Do we know we are a sacred part of God's plan? Are we set apart so that through our lives and testimony people can find God?

I wonder if things would be different if I really "got" that truth down deep into my soul?
How would I live?
How would I speak of myself?
How would I think of myself?
Would I abuse myself through neglect as often as I currently do?
Would I stand in Awe of God more often as I realized He was in me and wanted to work through me?

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
"Don't you know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit? The Spirit is in you. You have received him from God. You do not belong to yourselves. Christ has paid the price for you. So use your bodies in a way that honors God."

This verse is speaking of the body being used for sexual sins as often was the case in Corinth. You can see that application in context as you read the text leading up to verse 19. And, though this relates to using our bodies for sexual immorality, I think it makes a statement in general to the sacredness of our body as Christ's temple, and a statement that we do not belong to ourselves. Both of those statements made here by Paul, to make a point, can be applied to our lives today in a powerful way.

In a society where we as women are prone to negativity about ourselves, and a quest to find something to make us feel valuable...this passage can make a difference. Today dwell on the statements of truth made that relate to you as a Christian woman. Keep in mind this is not just about sexual sin or as some use it, diet and exercise. It is a powerful statement in general, that in TOTAL living, we belong to God and are His instrument, His Temple...we are to live according to these truths.

  • Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit
  • The Spirit is in you
  • You have received God's Spirit from God
  • You do not belong to yourself any longer
  • Christ has paid the price for you
  • So now live to honor God and use your body, his temple, to honor God.
How do these truths impact how we choose to live our lives?
Write a post and give me your thoughts on the truth that you are His, and His temple.
What is God showing you? Share it with others.

Today you are filled with God, now go out and have a Great Day!

Today's Prayer
Lord, Take your word, which is living and active, and plant the truths deep into my heart. May the fact that my body is your temple become life changing to me.

1 comment:

Danaly said...

Hi-

I'm 8 months pregnant with our second daughter. I never feel more aware of my body being a temple than when I'm pregnant. I just wish this awareness lasted longer after I give birth. Thank you for the reminder. I love love love your blog! It's so encouraging...

Danaly