Saturday, December 27, 2008

Moving into somethng NEW....

New Year, New Choices, Fresh Starts.

I love this time of year. There is anticipation of a clean slate, a fresh start, and a new beginning. Though that new beginning is available each day of the year, it somehow seems more "real" when the New Year rings in each January.

I encourage you to take some time taking a personal inventory. Think about what it is in your life that needs a fresh start or a new beginning. Determine to live intentionally trusting God in that area. Keep in mind that all of us can change because as believers we are filled with the Holy Spirit of power, guidance and truth.

I started yesterday with a major closet cleanse! Yes, that's right. I came up with 7 hefty garbage bags filled with clothes and shoes that I don't wear enough to keep. I will donate them today.

It's time for a new beginning, time to be Wildly devoted to God in all areas. I am excited about trusting Him, serving Him, listening to His voice, and carrying out His will in my little corner of the world in 2009.

Mark 14:1-9 Let's once again look at Mary of Bethany.

The passage in Mark is a story about Mary of Bethany, whom we know as the girl who sat at the feet of Jesus, and the sister to "busy bee" Mary, and "up from the grave" Lazarus. In this passage we are told that Mary poured an expensive jar of perfume on the head of Jesus while he was at Simon's home before the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Those who watched her criticized this action towards Jesus accusing her of being wasteful-- they thought the perfume could have been sold to provide money for the poor.
But, Jesus said,
"Leave her alone. " "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing...She did what she could." Mark 14:6,8

She Did What She Could!

Mary had taken what she had, the alabaster jar, and she used what she had, to do what she could. In this case, she anointed the head of Jesus, with what she had...and Jesus said, "She has done a beautiful thing" v. 6

Mary is an example of a WILD woman. What she did was frowned upon...from sitting at the feet of Jesus, to breaking the seal on the alabaster jar. Her love for Jesus was not politically or socially correct or understood. Yet, Jesus said that sitting at his feet would not be taken from her, and that the lavish perfume given for him was a beautiful thing. It's WILD to please God rather than people. It's WILDER still to do just WHAT we have been called and created to do--no more, no less.

As leaders we are not required to do EVERYTHING, or ALL that we can. We can learn from this and do just WHAT we can, in each moment, in each day, unto Jesus.

Are you doing what you could today?

I want to do what I can, just like Mary who "did what she could". Jesus said she did " a beautiful thing" and I want that response from my Lord too. I want to do what only I can do with the hopes of Jesus saying that my actions were to Him a beautiful thing too.

How about you?

Today's Prayer
Father, I come to you today and ask that you will begin placing on my heart the very area that you want me to trust you for change in this next year. I dedicate myself to believing that your power working in me can be the pathway to something new and different in my life. I thank you that you are my Freedom!

1 comment:

Lorri said...

I like this! I think I"ll quote you and link on my blog. It's time for something new and that's a beautiful thing! (: Love you! Lorri