Saturday, December 13, 2008

13 days and counting....


The Gift of Love

Love never fails. Video games will break, pearl necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust, but giving the gift of LOVE will endure.

The Apostle Paul speaks of Love in his letter to the Corinthians. Today reflect on what he is saying, especially the statement...eagerly desire the greater gifts.

It's easy during the holidays to think of the things we"want". Especially easy this time of the year to scan the sales ads and decide we want something that we never even knew we wanted!


With the holiday sales and media all around us we might even think that our loved ones or children "just have to have something", and we then become consumed with how to get it, often sacrificing our sleep or our sanity to stand in line for the best deal.

But, we will never find a sales advertisement for God's Love. We can not cut a coupon out and take it in for an early morning Saturday special. His love isn't cheap, but was very costly. He already paid the price, it's been purchased for us. This love is a gift. The catch is, we have to receive it. We must open the gift, and open it daily. The Bible tells us His love and Mercy are new every morning. Fresh supply!

1 Corinthians 12:31-3
But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way. If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal...if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all that I possess to the poor, but have not love I gain nothing.

How do we receive this Gift of Love?

Oswald Chambers says:
" Love is the overflowing result of one person in true fellowship with another."

We receive this gift of love by our connection, fellowship, identification with....Jesus Christ, who is God himself, and the bible tells us that "God is Love". 1 John 4

Today reflect on these things:
  • What do you give the greatest emphasis to in your personal life at this time of year?
  • Do things replace love?
  • Does works of service replace love?
  • Does the busy schedule of the holiday season replace your connection with Christ?
  • Are you in true fellowship with God? If so, love will be the overflowing result.

Christmas Prayer
Lord, I come to you with my holiday days. There seems so much to do, so many to see, and so many functions to attend. All are fun, and none of them are necessarily bad. But, it is a slippery slope when I put you on the back burner for a month! It is ridiculous that I take a vacation from you to try and "love others" through what I can give or what I can do for them. Teach me balance in my December Days.

No comments: