Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Day 3 of Untangling Christmas

Have you put up your Christmas Decorations yet? While I put up my little Dept. 56 Village I almost "lost it" in the maze of cords and plugs in an effort to put together the little lit village. At one point I just wanted to throw my hands in the air and say " forget it!" And, at about that same time I wondered what I ever saw in this Snow Village collection in the first place.

But, after it was all up, the cords figured out, and the lights burning in each miniature window, I knew what it was I saw in the holiday houses....once put together, arranged and lit, they make a beautiful backdrop for Christmas at the Alsdorf's.

Untangling Christmas....
Jesus came with a specific purpose. In Isaiah we see what some of the specifics are.

Isaiah 9:6 from yesterday's blog tells us that the Messiah would come to be our:
Wonderful Counselor, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace, and Mighty God.

These aren't just nice Hallmark Greeting Card Names. These names help us understand who Jesus came to be in our life. Let's unwrap the cords of the meaning, and plug in the light of his word, so that our hearts can be lit up like the twinkling lights on our trees, or the little windows in my Snow village.

Wonderful Counselor
Today let's look at the first name given Jesus, the baby to be born in th manger.
In Isaiah his name is, Wonderful Counselor ( Isa 9:6)

Counselor comes from the Hebrew word yaats, which means to advise, resolve, guide, purpose. With those definitions I can say, " He is my wonderful Advisor, my wonderful Resolver, my wonderful Guide, and my wonderful Purpose!"

In the Webster's dictionary, wonderful is defined as: astonishing, excellent or marvelous.

Let's break this down for real life meaning:
In the middle of our December days comes this perfect gift who came to be our counselor.
This counselor gives us the right advice, helps us resolve our life situations, guides us and gives us a purpose for living. And, that's not all, He does it in a wonderful way. His way of working in our human hearts and minds is astonishing, excellent and marvelous.

In a world where most of us can use some advice, counsel or mental/emotional untangling, this is Good News. This can give rise in our hearts to celebration. Yes, Jesus, the Wonderful Counselor is our Christmas Gift.

Be filled with the meaning of the truth!

Today:
  • Think about what needs untangling in your life
  • Sit for a moment or two and thank Jesus that He is your Counselor.
  • Ask Him to guide you in the area that seems like a heap of tangled lights.
  • Thank Him several times today for WHO He is as your Wonderful Counselor.

Christmas Prayer
Father, Sometimes I don't know which end is up. I am uncertain where to make the right connections, how to untangle my brain from the stress, pain or disappointment of real life. Then Christmas comes. I am supposed to be merry, not moody. But, often I am more moody than merry. Help me. Untangle me. Be my peace, my advisor and my true counselor. You are Wonderful!

No comments: